The BeSmartOnline! project concerts the efforts of national stakeholders working towards the safer use of the internet by children and youths.
The BeSmartOnline! project concerts the efforts of national stakeholders working towards the safer use of the internet by children and youths. The initiative aims at raising awareness and educating minors, carers and educators on the safe use of the internet; establishing, operating and promoting reporting facilities for internet abuse; and supporting respective victims.
Through the BeSmartOnline! project a Maltese Safer Internet Centre has been created. The project is co-funded by the European Commission’s Connecting Europe Facility (CEF).
Some project details;
- The overall objective of the BeSmartOnline! Project is to act as a Safer Internet Centre in Malta. The project is implemented via a partnership which is coordinated by the MCA and includes FSWS Agenzija Appogg, the Commissioner for Children, and the Directorate for Quality and Standards in Education. With special collaboration from the Malta Police Force - Cyber Crime Unit, the Directorate for Educational Services, the Secretariat for Catholic Education, the Independent School Association the University of Malta, and Aġenzija Żgħażagħ.
- The partnership will also participate in the Insafe European Safer Internet Network (www.saferinternet.eu).
- Awareness raising actions will comprise of creative campaigns targeting children, youths, parents, educators and the general public with the aim of informing these of the dangers of illegal and harmful content on the internet In addition a train the trainer campaign will be held in order to disseminate the message to children in educational institutions. The national partnership will include an Advisory Board and a Youth Panel.
- The Project operates a hotline – ChildWebAlert (www.childwebalert.gov.mt) to take reports from internet users on illegal content and also contribute to the European URL database of sites generating illegal activity. The hotline forms part of Inhope (www.inhope.org) – the international association of internet hotlines.
- A helpline has also been set up to answer online questions and telephone calls from children and parents related to problems encountered during their use of online technologies. This is operated through the national supportline 179.
For more information visit www.besmartonline.org.mt